[Tutor] sprintf-like functionality in Python

Vicki Stanfield vicki at thepenguin.org
Mon Aug 25 15:05:09 EDT 2003

> Vicki Stanfield wrote:
>> Okay I got it to work (not so elegently) using this:
>>
>>             output=port.read()
>>             length = chr(ord(output))
>>             output=port.read()
>>             newlength=length+chr(ord(output))
>>             num=int(newlength)
>>             print num
>
> chr(ord(x)) does is an identity function (i.e. is does nothing).  I
> don't completely understand what you want but how about:
>
>     length = port.read(2)
>     num = int(length, 16)
>
> Does that do what you want?
>
>   Neil

Yes, that is exactly what I needed. The problem I was running into was
that I was trying to pull it in one at a time and then put the two digits
together and translate them into a single number. Your solution is far
more useful! This is an example of me making things more complicated than
necessary. Thanks.

--vicki