[Tutor] curious

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 4 13:27:21 EST 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Alan Gauld wrote:

> > AutoCAD, the most popular CAD program, uses Lisp for scripting, so you
> > may want to learn that later (but not first because Lisp is really
> > hard).
>
> I'd disagree with that. Lisp is very easy to learn provided you've
> nebver programmed in any other language. The problem is it is
> superficially very diffrent to, say Basic or Python. (But actually its
> really very similar to Python once you get beyond the parentheses...)

Hi Alan,

I agree --- Lisp is actually quite nice!  There's one book, in particular,
that's really good:

    http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/simply-toc.html

(Of course, I'm somewhat biased, given my former academic affilation.
*grin*)

But seriously, if you get the chance, take a look at 'Simply Scheme':
it'll open your eyes to what a beginning computer programming course
really should cover.  The approach in Simply Scheme is simply excellent.

Talk to you later!