[Tutor] python beginner

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 16:51:22 EST 2003

Jacques wrote:
> Does anyone know of any python programming site that
> could guide me to learn python in about a month? I
> also want to be able to write a program. Anyone have
> an ideas for a first program?

A great tutorial that I learned from is at
http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html . Many
people have said that this tutorial is too hard for
beginners. A popular tutorial that's easier is at
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/ , but I
don't really like it because it jumps around between
Python, Basic, and Tcl. A good program to start out
with could be a program to calculate the area of
shapes. You could start out with a program to
calculate the area of a two-by-two square. Then you
could have the user input the value for the length of
a side of the square. Then you could seperate the
program into a function for finding the area of a
square and a main() section. Eventually, you could do
more advanced things such as other shapes (with
certain things using the math module), making an
option input from a file and then append the output to
the file, making a advancednum class to hold positive
floats and calculate things such as
advancednum(5).square() to find the area of a square
with a length of five, fitting the whole thing with a
GUI, etc.

Daniel Ehrenberg