[Tutor] python beginner

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Dec 7 18:38:15 EST 2003

> A great tutorial that I learned from is at
> http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html . Many
> people have said that this tutorial is too hard for
> beginners.

It is almost incomprehensible for people who have never
programmed before, but it is excellent for beginners
to Python.

> A popular tutorial that's easier is at
> http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/ , but I
> don't really like it because it jumps around between
> Python, Basic, and Tcl.

Important point here. I am trying to teach programming not
Python. Python is just one language that I use because,
I am trying to emphasise the point that the same concepts
exist in all programming languages. Don't worry about the
syntax, think about the structure and concepts.

Once you finish my tutor you really should go through the
official Python tutor(or Tcl one, or Basic one, or C,
or Java or etc etc...)

If you just want to learn to program in Python Josh C's
tutor is better suited. But it will leave you with some
jargon and concepts etc that you won't understand later.

And a half way house which tries to teach Python and
programming concepts is the 'How to Think like a CS'
one...

All are linked fom the non prog part of the Python
web site. All serve slightly different purposes.

Alan G