[Tutor] Python vs. Lua

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 8 03:02:38 EST 2003

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Daniel Ehrenberg wrote:

> Are there any reasons why Python is better and I shouldn't use Lua
> instead? I think I might be missing some major flaw in the language.

Hi Daniel,

When we think about programming languages, we should avoid an XOR
mentality.  *grin*

Why assume there's a flaw in Lua, or that one language has to be supreme
over another?  From what you've summarized, it sounds like a reasonable
programming language.  By all means try it out!

It's perfectly fine to learn and use other programming languages.  Other
ones you may want to look at include Perl (http://www.perl.com/), OCaml
(http://www.ocaml.org/), and Scheme (http://www.plt-scheme.org/).  If you
compare how they work with what you know about Python
(http://www.python.org/), you'll be a better programmer for it.  There's a
lot more commonalities with these languages than there are differences.

But just please promise us you won't stray off the civilized path and
learn something barbaric like INTERCAL (http://catb.org/~esr/intercal/).
*grin*

Good luck to you!