[Tutor] Python vs. Lua

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 8 04:23:48 EST 2003

> Are there any reasons why Python is better and I
> shouldn't use Lua instead? I think I might be missing
> some major flaw in the language.

All languages are good for something - otherwise they
wouldn't have been written! Learning Lua as well as
Python is almost certainly a good thing to do. You
might even learn some new tricks with Python by doing so.

As to whether you should learn Lua *instead* of Python,
thats a different story. Python does several things
better than Lua - including having built in support
for multiple programming paradigms, and having
batteries included. Its also more widely used so you
have a higher chance of coming across Python elsewhere.

But any "Turing complete" programming language can
be used to solve any computing problem as well as
any other language. The differences are in ease of
doing so, performance of the final result etc.

There is no universally perfect language

Alan G.