[Tutor] Python vs. Lua

Thomi Richards thomi at thomi.imail.net.nz
Sun Dec 7 21:41:42 EST 2003

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 16:01:06 -0800 (PST)
Daniel Ehrenberg <littledanehren at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I just heard about Lua, a scripting language with a
> minimalistic but highly extendable procedural syntax.

> Are there any reasons why Python is better and I
> shouldn't use Lua instead? I think I might be missing
> some major flaw in the language.

While I'm a devoted python follower, I'm on a project which required a scripting language to controll AI's on a server. We were trying to decide between python and Lua. I'm sorry to say that python lost; namely because you can't easily restrict which system calls the python interpreter can make. I.e.- it can't be easily "sandboxed".

I'm still using python, but I'm learning lua at the same time ;)

HTH!

--
Thomi Richards
http://www.once.net.nz