[Tutor] Re: Installing RPy in Windows

"Héctor Villafuerte D." hec.villafuerte at telgua.com.gt
Wed Dec 10 14:08:04 EST 2003

Héctor Villafuerte D. wrote:

> Hi all!
> I'm trying to install RPy in WinXP. This are my programs' versions:
> RPy-0.3.1
> R 1.8.0
> Python 2.3
>
> After tweaking a bit RPy's setup.py (just added RHOME = "c:/Program
> Files/R/rw1080")
> I got this strange error message (what does Visual Studio has to do
> with it?!)
>
> E:\to_do\rpy-0.3.1>python setup.py install
> running install
> running build
> running build_py
> creating build
> creating build\lib.win32-2.3
> copying rpy.py -> build\lib.win32-2.3
> copying io.py -> build\lib.win32-2.3
> copying rpy_version.py -> build\lib.win32-2.3
> running build_ext
> error: Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and
> extensions need to be built
> with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't installed.
>
> Thanks for your help!

Just reporting my progress (after googling for a while):

E:\to_do\rpy-0.3.1>python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32-gcc
bdist_wininst
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
error: don't know how to compile C/C++ code on platform 'nt' with
'mingw32-gcc' compiler

Any suggestions? Thanks again.
Hector