[Tutor] creating text files

Stanfield, Vicki {D167~Indianapolis} vicki.stanfield at ROCHE.COM
Thu Dec 11 11:59:06 EST 2003

A follow-up question if you don't mind....

I open a log file while my program is running, but sometimes the program
crashes and leaves no log file. Is there any way to write the file prior
to when I actually close it. I guess I could close it and reopen it, but
I'd rather just flush the output to the file.

--vicki

-----Original Message-----
From: tutor-bounces at python.org [mailto:tutor-bounces at python.org] On
Behalf Of Alan Gauld
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 11:55 AM
To: ali; tutor at python.org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] creating text files

> am a newbie and was wondering how to create a new text file in
python...

Check out the files and text page in my tutorial.

Basically you open it with

myfile = open("foo.txt", "r")  # to read
myfile2 = open("foo2.txt", "w") # to create a new file for writing
myfile3 = open("foo3.txt","a")  # to write at the end of an existing
file

IN more odern versions of Python (v2.x?) you can substitute
file() for open():

myfile = file("foo.txt","r")
etc...

The tutor explains how to read and write data with those files.

Finally its a good idea to close the file when done:

myfile.close()

HTH

Alan G

Tutor maillist  -  Tutor at python.org