[Tutor] Dumb question on emacs and python ...

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Dec 27 15:55:39 EST 2003

> Thanks, I am new to emacs only under Linux though I do not regard
myself
> as an expert it is my primary editor and is at least my secondary
method
> of executing SQL against Sybase.
>
> Under Linux, I find many of the commands work as I would expect,
e.g.
> the keystrokes ^C^S, ^C^C, ^X-u, etc, but the file names and colors
had
> me thrown. Also as I mentioned I still am disappointed the
highlighting
> a region seems only useful for copying.

These are all controlled by a combination of the system .emacs
and your personal .emacs files. It sounds like you are seeing
vanilla emacs behaviour, try copying your .emacs file from your
UNIX system to your Linux system - you may get lots of errors
though as the file paths may well be different...

Remember and male a copy of the current Linux version first!
Compare the diffeences and you should see the lines you need
to modify to restore your favoured mode of working.

OTOH I stopped using real emacs when I moved to NT, a long time
ago now...

Alan G.