[Tutor] Just beginning

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Sat Dec 27 16:12:22 EST 2003

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Danny Yoo wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Schultz, Bob wrote:
>
> > I am new to programming, but have decided on Python after much
> > researching and reading on the web.
>
> Hi Bob, welcome aboard!
>

> > My question is this: I have an extra computer that am going to use
> > solely for programming and experimenting. Should I use Linux or windows
> > as my OS or doesn't it matter? Does Python work better on one platform
> > than the other. I am excited to get going!
>
> Python works well on both Windows and Linux.  I'd recommend using whatever
> platform you are most familiar with --- Python as a language is platform
> agnostic.

What about the development environment?  Do you have a recommendation
there?

I found idle difficult to install on Linux.  Is it easier on Windows?

I like emacs for development, but emacs has a learning curve.

I spent some time trying to use the debugging feature in idle, but
didn't do very well.  That was a year ago so maybe the new release is
better?

If you have any hints about these things, I'd be grateful.

Thank you.

Marilyn Davis