[Tutor] Dumb question on emacs and python ...

hcohen2 hcohen2 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 27 18:31:19 EST 2003

Alan Gauld wrote:

>>Thanks, I am new to emacs only under Linux though I do not regard
>>

>myself
>

>>as an expert it is my primary editor and is at least my secondary
>>

>method
>

>>of executing SQL against Sybase.
>>
>>Under Linux, I find many of the commands work as I would expect,
>>

>e.g.
>

>>the keystrokes ^C^S, ^C^C, ^X-u, etc, but the file names and colors
>>

>had
>

>>me thrown. Also as I mentioned I still am disappointed the
>>

>highlighting
>

>>a region seems only useful for copying.
>>

>These are all controlled by a combination of the system .emacs
>and your personal .emacs files. It sounds like you are seeing
>vanilla emacs behaviour, try copying your .emacs file from your
>UNIX system to your Linux system - you may get lots of errors
>though as the file paths may well be different...
>
>Remember and male a copy of the current Linux version first!
>Compare the diffeences and you should see the lines you need
>to modify to restore your favoured mode of working.
>
>OTOH I stopped using real emacs when I moved to NT, a long time
>ago now...
>
>Alan G.

Alan,

You are right about the .emacs file - it was a pain setting up my UNIX
environment and customizing it.  Even began to study lisp to see what I
had to do - but luckily I found that was not really necessary.

Odd - NT when I first started using NT-4 seriously back in '99 I was
fairly impressed until queries stopped working for not reason and
garbage results were generated shortly after getting good data sets.
Learned to reboot at least once a week, since then run into many other
problems.  So much so, that so far XP seems superior on a corporate
desktop.  System works better with UNIX too.

I try to use UNIX and Linux as much as possible, even when it sometimes
seems easier to use the tools available under Windows.

When I get a bit further with python I will be checking the emacs
configuration file.

Herschel