[Tutor] Just beginning

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Dec 27 18:50:18 EST 2003

> going to use solely for programming and experimenting.

If thats the main focus use whatever OS you are most familiar
with, learning one thing at a time will make for less headaches.

> Should I use Linux or windows as my OS or doesn't it matter?

But if you already use Linux and Windows I'd opt for Linux
because the integration of Python and Linux is much easier
and more direct and the tools on Linux are far more powerful
(unless you have cygwin installed) for working with source code.

Also Linux is an experimenters wonderland you can change
just about anything if you want to and know (or figure out)
how. Windows (2000 or XP) are OK for programming on but they
are not as amenable to exploration. XP or Linux should be
sufficiently reliable for that not to be a major issue.

Python works fine on all of them but the integration with
Linux OS is easier to use IMHO.

HTH,

Alan G