[Tutor] Global scope

Pete Versteegen pversteegen@gcnetmail.net
Sat Feb 1 09:37:01 2003

Listers,

I am confused about global variables.  I have a C/C++ program with a large
number of functions, and a block of global variables (I know its best to
pass references to functions, but the pass-through list would often be long,
and its hence much easier to keep track of the definitions in a single
block) that I'm converting to python.  I am translating the functions into
corresponding modules. Functions call functions, which in turn call othr
functions, etc.  How do I declare some variables, including lists and
dictionaries, that are used in these lower functions to be globals,
accessible by all functions?

I used a statement such as:  global case_number in a function, and declare
it case_number = 0 in the main module, but I get:

NameError: global name 'case_number' is not defined

BTW, I asked some time ago about formatting a la Fortran.  At the link below
is a module that does all of that.

http://starship.python.net/crew/hinsen/part2.html

Thanks!

Pete Versteegen