[Tutor] The concept of string arrays

andy surany mongo57a@comcast.net
Mon Feb 3 19:31:01 2003

Hello Members!

I'm reading an Excel file into memory. The values are all strings. My no
frills approach to doing this was to simply set up a list, read the
values from a file, and append the list. Each element is then referenced
via position. For example,

First_Name    Last_Name    Address    Date_of_Birth

would be input as follows:

client.append(First_Name)
client.append(Last_Name)
client.append(Address)
client.append(Fate_of_Birth)

now if I want to reference the 45th row in the cell, I would start at
position 45*4.

This works - but I know that there have to be more elegant solutions. I
tried creating a 4 dim array - but found that string types were not
allowed. Is it possible to create a multi dimensional list or tuple?
or????

TIA.

Andy