[Tutor] NumTut for windows

Adam Vardy Adam Vardy <anvardy@roadrunner.nf.net>
Tue Feb 4 13:30:11 2003

>> Hi,
>> Does anyone know where i can download a version of NumTut for windows. I
>> have a pdf version of An Open Source project - Numerical Python.
>> It says "mumtut is distributed along with the numeric source distribution in
>> the demo subdirectory". What does this mean?
>> I can only find it with a *.tgz file extension and don't have a clue what to
>> do with that?

I searched out Numeric Python. I could find it. And actually there
were no .tgz files there.

These SourceForge pages all seem to come with a specific pattern. Like
near the top they say perhaps "Summary, Admin ... CVS, Files". Now in
a lot of these cases, I would look at the page, and never see sign of
where the downloads are for the project. I think though, you need to
click on Files. Most sites have a Downloads link, probably on the left
frame. My eyes easily miss a Files link. And I mean, if I even thought
it was right, it would say to myself "Files to what? Example files to
show you what it looks like? Just a few misc. files to illustrate what
our project does? Files needed from third parties before you should
download the actual project?" Doesn't seem like a sensible arrangement
to make it easy for people to identify the aims, and how to try out a
project, just IMO.

Some of those projects have a very narrow audience I think. While
others have a very broad audience. In my opinion, it is not very
efficiently distinguished to your average webpage browser which is the
case, the way they typically lay out their links.  If you click on
*Summary*, all you get is:

---

Numerical Python adds a fast array facility to the Python language.

---

Rather unimpressive way to get a serious appreciation for a project.

I think a .tgz file is basically a warning: don't download me on your
windows computer. You won't know which file to run; it will probably
crash your computer; and there's probably no documentation. So it's
more than likely a waste of CPU cycles to download.

--
Adam Vardy