[Tutor] Need mouse cursor readout for text placement in progr am

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon Feb 10 05:43:19 2003

> unlike the Tcl/Tk program, I am still unable to produce a
> mouse readout for easier text placement.

Hmm, I'd like to know how you do that in Tcl/Tk?
I've never seen that feature. Can you explain?

> Once I know the precise x and y locations, I can then hard
> code this into the program code for text placement.

Caveat: This is likely to break if your user has different
fonts/screen sizes etc set up on their computer. If its just
for yourself or you have control of the end user environment
its fine.

> Thanks much for a list like this. I just marvel at how
> easy programming comes to some people. I am
> NOT ONE OF THEM !

Its like driving a car, when learning you go slowly and everything
seems to happen at once. After a few years you relax and can enjoy
the scenery while talking to your passenger and driving at the
same time.

Programming is essentially the same set of problems coming up
time after time but in disguise. The trick is to recognise the
problem for what it is then translate the standard answswer into
the new context. But first of course you have to experience all
of the standard problems so that you can recognise them...

This list is a good place to get explanations of those standard
formulae.

Alan g.
Author of the Learn to Program website
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/