[Tutor] importing constants

Bob Gailer ramrom@earthling.net
Mon Feb 10 17:11:13 2003

--=======16231CB7=======

At 06:42 PM 2/9/2003 -0500, R. Alan Monroe wrote:
>I have a project consisting of a main file and two modules. If I want
>to set up a new third module file establishing some constants, is it
>safe to re-import it multiple times, once in each file and module?

Yes

>Are there any side-effects to doing that?

No

Suggestion: make "constant" names upper case e;g; IDLE = 1. This helps
later when reading code to remind you that IDLE is intended to be constant.

If you
import constants
then you must prefix the module name to each constant:
constants.IDLE

OTOH if you
from constants import *
then just use the constant name.