[Tutor] Sun says: Don't use Java, use Python!

Erik Price erikprice@mac.com
Tue Feb 11 20:57:13 2003

On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 07:42  PM, alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:

>> If you're really considering re-writing the code with Java, bear in
>> mind that Java will force you to write it in full object oriented
>> style.
>

> No, not at all, it will only force you to wrap your functional code
> in a class structure. But if you make the methods static you don't
> even need to create an object at all, just call the method as if
> it was a function. This is how a lot of Java tutors start off
> teaching Java!
>
> Java is not object oriented it is class oriented.

True.  I forgot about this, I seem to recall that it was you who first
explained this to me here on this list back in the summer.

<dramatization>
Erik: "What I have heard is that in Java everything is an object."
Alan: "Not so.  In Java, everything is a class."
</dramatization>

I've taken issue with that very fact, that many Java tutors start off
by putting a bunch of procedural code into the main method of a class.
It isn't a good way to start off.

Erik

--
Erik Price