[Tutor] basic Qs

Erik Price erikprice@mac.com
Thu Feb 13 07:52:03 2003

On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 07:20  AM, siddharth karandikar
wrote:

> i am new to the world of Python, so i would like to ask some basic
> questions ??
>
> which books OR docs to refere ??
> ( i am not new to programming but new to Python )

If you already know how to program, perhaps you just need a quick
tutorial and a language reference?  I think "Python Essential
Reference" by David Beazley (sp?) is a decent book, but I don't have my
copy on me (it's at work).

> which editor / IDE is best for Python ??

I use BBEdit on MacOS X at home and jEdit on Windows at work.

> i would also like to know the performance comparison between following
> - shell scripts
> - perl
> - PYTHON

"It all depends."

I've been reading an interesting interview with the creator of Python
lately, it is at

     http://www.artima.com/intv/strongweak.html

Note that it is split into several parts.

Erik

--
Erik Price

email: erikprice@mac.com