[Tutor] Re: Run python cgi in local Windows???

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Sun Feb 16 17:34:02 2003

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 02:36:04AM +0000, prog wrote:
| I am using PythonWin and would like to make some python cgi's. =20
| is there a possibility that a cgi can run on a local Windows which
| is NOT a web server?

No.  CGI is the specification of the interface between the web server
and the application.  Without the web server, you don't have CGI.
Instead you would have a regular application.

| For example, when you type:
|=20
|  c:/python/mycounter.cgi=20
|=20
| in the address box of the IE, the IE triggers the python or whatever
| machnism and executes the cgi and display the 'print ...' to back to
| the browser?

No, IE simply reads the file, which has a MIME type of text/plain, and
renders it according to the MIME type.  No execution has occurred.

If you want to test out CGI scripts on your own machine, download
apache and set it up.

-D

--=20
Failure is not an option.  It is bundled with the software.
=20
http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1--