[Tutor] script comparing two values - ASCII encoding error

Alfred Milgrom fredm@smartypantsco.com
Wed Feb 26 23:43:02 2003

Hi Mic:

I tried the code that you submitted, and when I typed it in it worked fine=
 :)
However when I copied what you emailed, I got the same error as you did :(

I identified the problem as being in your string 'f(x, s) =AD j'
Specifically, although the minus sign in that expression looks like a minus=
=20
sign it is not a minus sign. It is not the same character as you used in=20
the line 'while max - min > delta'. (Perhaps you have two minus sign keys=20
on your keyboard or you pressed another key at the same time ? In any case=
=20
I cannot duplicate the wrong minus sign.)

You can check this out by copying out the function definition, and then=20
replacing the bad minus sign with the good minus sign from bisect, and you=
=20
will see everything works fine.

Fred