[Tutor] Subclasses? [boring languages/robocode]

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 1 16:32:01 2003

> > > Guido van Rossum asked for a real use-case for inner classes.
> >
> > Don't know the thread and am no Java expert but aren't inner classes
> > the only way to fake lambas in Java?
>
> I'm not a Java expert either (thank God!) and it's been a long time
> since I last touched it (thank you, thank you, Lord!) but yes, that is a
> way to view them. Since the inner class is automatically connected with
> the outer class and can steer it you can use them to fake closures and
> stuff like that.
>
> > Stoopid language! :-)
>
> No disagreements here. And boring as hell!

Hello!

Although Java's a bit of a submission-and-bondage language, that has not
stopped people from writing interesting and fun software with it.

I feel that a language can be as fun as the software that's written in it.
By that measurement, Java's doing pretty well.  For example:

    http://robocode.alphaworks.ibm.com/home/home.html
    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-robocode/

provides code to learn Java by using robot battle simulations.  And that's
pretty impressive!  I guess I'm just trying to say that the syntax and
language can be deceptively superficial.

I'll take the radical point of view that it's the programs and the
community around a language, and not the language itself, that makes a
language fun to learn and use.

So let's concentrate on writing fun programs so that we can attract that
good talent away from the lesser languages out there.  *grin*

Happy New Year!