[Tutor] Good reasons for 1.5.2 compatibility?

Roman Suzi rnd@onego.ru
Fri Jan 3 10:46:01 2003

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, John Abbe wrote:

>I've started a project that i intend to make available to the public,
>and have been keeping it 1.5.2-compatible. Is this worth the bother?
>That is, do many ISPs still have 1.5.2 running? (mine did until i
>asked for an upgrade) Are there any factors causing reasonable people
>to keep 1.5.2 around?

If nothing special (XML, Unicode, email, etc) is needed 1.5.2 is still a good
choice. Also I know that 2.x has difficulties with non-latin1 texts in IDLE:
so it is not possible to use Tkinter (thus build GUIs) with standard 2.x
versions of Python.

Personally I am using 2.2.2 for new programs but at work it's
still mostly 1.5.2.

As for NEW projects (public or private) I think 2.2.2 is great. Just do not
use things which will change in future to be on the safe side.
(i.e. 2/3, yield=404, etc)

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
rnd@onego.ru =\= My AI powered by Linux RedHat 7.3