[Tutor] Python docs- makes the learning harder sometimes

Rob Andrews rob@uselesspython.com
Mon Jan 6 11:55:11 2003

There is a reason that startswith() and endswith() are not included in the
Global Module Index, and it's actually a pretty good one. They aren't part
of a module that needs to be imported, but built-in string methods included
in the Python Library Reference. This is a part of the documentation that
comes with Python and can be found on the python.org site in the Documents
area.

If, for example, you are running on a Windows PC (like the one I happen to
be sitting at presently), and you have Python installed at C:\Python22\, you
should be able to find these methods described in
"C:\Python22\Doc\lib\string-methods.html".

The Python Library Reference is good enough to merit reading thoroughly and
repeatedly, in my experience.

Hope this helps,
Rob
http://uselesspython.com