[Tutor] Best way to convert a type into string

Michael Janssen Janssen@rz.uni-frankfurt.de
Fri Jan 10 12:49:01 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Bob Gailer wrote:

> > > <type 'int'>
> > >
> > > What's the best way to get the string "int" from this?
> >
> >Here is the simplest:

> >int
>
> That's what I was looking for. Something already in the language. How doe=
> one discover things like this?

One way to discover something, which you don't find in the docs ist to use
the rlcompleter-module:

18:37 ./janssenm> cat .pythonrc
### enables tab-completion
import rlcompleter
import readline
readline.parse_and_bind("tab: complete")

now you can type at interactive prompt:
typeobject =3D type(1)
typeobject.[tab][tab]

and you will get the complete list of every method and variable from
typeobjects. From this point you have to gess and try.

Michael