[Tutor] Re: help

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 12 15:59:02 2003

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 Slayerchickbuffy@aol.com wrote:

> Ok so im new to this so could someone please explain to me about these
> langauges and tell me how i should go about trying to learn them please
> help me if you can thanks a lot

Hello!  Welcome to Python-tutor!  I'll try to cover a bit of your second
question.

Some people have organized a web site with links to dozens of online
tutorials that you might want to look at:

    http://python.org/doc/Newbies.html

One way to start learning Python is to browse through a few of these
tutorials, and pick the one appeals to you and is easiest to learn from.
Once you've found a good tutorial, go through it, and make sure to do the
exercises.  *grin* Sorry, it's dull advice, but without knowing more about
your background, that's where we'll have to start.

If we'd like to see examples of what programs we can write in Python, we
can take a look at the cool Useless Python web site:

    http://uselesspython.com/

But is there any thing in particular that you're interested in?
Programming for its own sake is ok, but it can be much more exciting if we
tie it with another interest.  There are ties to biology via the BioPython
project:

    http://biopython.org/

as well as Linguists through the NLTK Natural Language Toolkit:

    http://nltk.sourceforge.net/

Python programmers who want to do games can meet up using PyGame:

    http://pygame.org/

So it really might be useful to see if there's some cross-discipline sort
of thing that interests you.

When you have questions, or if you get hung up on a difficult section,
please feel free to ask questions here on Tutor.  There are a lot of gurus
as well as other Python learners who would be happy to chat and give moral
support.

Good luck!