[Tutor] Shredding files and searching the tutor archives

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Jan 13 16:40:02 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Magnus Lycka wrote:

> At 14:18 2003-01-13 -0500, andy surany wrote:
> >http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Browse/Threaded/python-Tutor
> >
> >Upper right secion of the page is a search capability.
>
> But does it work? Since I answered the shredder question a month ago, I
> thought I'd whine a bit to Joshua Miller about not doing his homework
> before bothering the list. But searching for "shredder", I got no hits,
> even though the word is used both in Joshuas email now and in the thread
> about "Working with memory with Python" around December 6 to 8. But what
> is this? It was Joshua that asked then as well. Did you shred that from
> your memory??? ;)

I agree: I'm positive we talked a little bit about file shredding too.

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2002-December/019095.html
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2002-December/019098.html

The word "shredder" is definitely in the body of those messages, yet
ActiveState's search engine isn't seeing it.  That's not good.

I wonder what kind of indicer they're using.  Is ActiveState just indicing
the message headers, then?  "Indicing" is a preprocessing step that's at
the heart of fast search engines; there was an article about this on IBM's
developerWorks:

    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/l-pyind.html

Maybe it would make a nice project for someone to write a good search
engine for Python-Tutor that works better than the one on ActiveState.
It can't be that hard, can it?  *grin*