[Tutor] How to run a program on Linux from Windows

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Tue Jan 14 17:53:01 2003

At 07:49 2003-01-14 -0700, Brad Reisfeld wrote:
>I would like to find a method for users to access and run the program from a
>Windows (and Mac) platform. It would be nice if I could use the same
>wxPython interface, but another interface or tool would be acceptable.

I assume that it's out of the question to actually run the program
entirely on the Windows or Mac box? Otherwise that sounds like the
simplest solution. Then the users won't load your Linux box! :)

If you have used a layered approach in your code, with a thin GUI
layer which isn't deeply involved in the application logic, it
should certainly be possible to turn it into a client/server
application. See the first three links below for ideas about how
to implement that.

>What are my options here?

Plenty...

>Can this be done using some sort of communications protocol through a
>socket?

Yes.

>Would a (http protocol) browser-based approach be applicable?

Yes.

>Would some sort of remote procedure call be the right approach?

Yes.

>Would I create a daemon that would 'listen' for something on a certain port
>and then fire off the simulation?

Yes.

>What Python modules should I be looking at?

There are a number of different options here.

Some resources:

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-socket.html

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-xmlrpclib.html

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-SimpleXMLRPCServer.html