[Tutor] IDLE on Windows

Jay Dorsey python@jaydorsey.com
Thu Jan 16 15:39:02 2003

--------------000104060905030803090800

IDLE was working fine on my Windows XP machine up until two days ago.  I
used to be able to right click on a .py file, and choose Edit in IDLE,
and IDLE would pop up just fine.  Now, I can open up the process manager
and see pythonw.exe open up, then close; I never see even a hint of an
IDLE box.  The last thing I remember doing was trying out some of the
debugging features.  Running IDLE from the command line executes the
program partially (the program writes a file, but also has a prompt
where you type in text for the file - the file gets written, but without
the prompted text).

I tried a reboot, uninstalling and reinstalling (2.2, with reboots in
between).  I even uninstalled 2.2 and tried the 2.3a release.

Is it possible that while debugging, I flipped some switch that makes
IDLE not work anymore?  If so, can anyone tell me what I need to do to
get IDLE running again?

Also, before I did the first uninstall, I had another option when I
right-clicked on a .py file - just plain old "Edit".  I tried it once,
and it popped up something similar to IDLE (can't recall the name of
it).  I've since uninstalled that program as well (tried to wipe python
clean, and start over), but I thought it was part of the standard Python
install (it's not); I can't recall the name of it, nor where I got it
at.  Any ideas? (sorry I don't have more details - I've really only just
started w/ Python).

Thanks for your time,

Jay
--
Jay Dorsey
python@jaydorsey.com

|"I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you"|

--------------000104060905030803090800

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
IDLE was working fine on my Windows XP machine up until two days ago.&nbsp;
I used to be able to right click on a .py file, and choose Edit in
IDLE, and IDLE would pop up just fine.&nbsp; Now, I can open up the process
manager and see pythonw.exe open up, then close; I never see even a
hint of an IDLE box.&nbsp; The last thing I remember doing was trying out
some of the debugging features.&nbsp; Running IDLE from the command line
executes the program partially (the program writes a file, but also
has a prompt where you type in text for the file - the file gets
written, but without the prompted text). <br>
I tried a reboot, uninstalling and reinstalling (2.2, with reboots in
between).&nbsp; I even uninstalled 2.2 and tried the 2.3a release. <br>
Is it possible that while debugging, I flipped some switch that makes
IDLE not work anymore?&nbsp; If so, can anyone tell me what I need to do to
get IDLE running again? <br>
Also, before I did the first uninstall, I had another option when I
right-clicked on a .py file - just plain old "Edit".&nbsp; I tried it once,
and it popped up something similar to IDLE (can't recall the name of
it).&nbsp; I've since uninstalled that program as well (tried to wipe python
clean, and start over), but I thought it was part of the standard Python
install (it's not); I can't recall the name of it, nor where I got it
at.&nbsp; Any ideas? (sorry I don't have more details - I've really only just
started w/ Python). <br>
Thanks for your time, <br>
Jay <br>
 style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); padding: 5px; font-family: georgia,garamond,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(0, 0, 102); background-color: rgb(238, 238, 221); width: 150px;">
Jay Dorsey<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:python@jaydorsey.com">python@jaydorsey.com</a><br>
<code style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">"I didn't say it was your
fault, I said I was blaming you"</code> </div>

--------------000104060905030803090800--