[Tutor] string parsing

Justin Ezequiel j.ezequiel@spitech.com
Wed Jan 29 02:57:02 2003

I guess this is not the right place for this question but I
do not know where else to ask.

You've all been very helpful.

Can anyone point me to a more appropriate forum?

I need ideas on how to (begin to) programmatically identify
elements of a bibliographic reference.

By elements, I mean authors/editors, their names (givenname,
surname, suffix), article/chapter titles, book/journal
titles, date of publication, volume number, start and end
page numbers, publisher name and publisher location, etc.

Has anyone done something similar?
Do you know others who have?
Can you point me to discussions on the web on the subject if
there are?

examples of bibliographic entries we get:
(I modified the names and some of the titles)

Ezequiel III JG, Garcia EA. Identifying elements of a
bibliographic reference. J Nerv Ment Dis. 1990;178:123-40.

Justin G. Ezequiel and Edna A. Garcia, Pattern Matching, 2nd
ed., John Wiley & Sons, 1982.

J. Ezequiel III, et al., Mater. Sci. Eng. A 328-329 (1997)
157.

J.G. Ezequiel and E.A. Garcia. Modelling and Enactment of
Whatever. In J. Garcia Ezequiel, editor, Application and
Theory of Whatever 2001, volume 123 of Lecture Notes in
Whatever, pages 11-15. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1993.