[Tutor] Zip-ing files/folders - collecting opinions

Branimir Petrovic BranimirP@cpas.com
Wed Jan 29 11:19:03 2003

Clever and cute little program indeed, thanks for sharing it!

> It's a small program which zips up a directory structure into
> an python program. You then run the generated python program to expand the
tree.

> Have a look, you might get some more ideas.
>
> Sw.

Having a good look at your script I can now see possible use for zlib.
Bare bone documentation coming with zlib is not overly helpful in
figuring out how's (and why's) of putting it to good use (but this can
be said with equal accuracy for most of documentation coming with std.
lib. modules)...

It also helped me stop fighting/resisting the idea of having many
individually zipped files inside preserved folder structure. Python's
zipfile module does this quite well, and with a small effort I can
replicate folder structure on different location as a part of archiving
process.

In cases when in-place archiving is desirable - GNU's gzip 'driven'
via Python script would be the way to go.

Optionally, if resulting archive is smaller than 4 GB, WinZip's
command line utility wzzip.exe can be used to coalesce everything
into one large archive file, and that's it.

Thanks for help.

Branimir