[Tutor] Linux versions

Yigal Duppen yduppen@xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 2 03:59:08 2003

> > and what are the complications for using Python on the different
> > systems.
>
> OOTC! :) Good. I'm not aware of any problems with Python.

I do! :-)

There is one important caveat with most linux distros -- they allow (and
often have) multiple versions of python to be installed simultaneously. So
you can have 'python1.5', 'python2.1' and 'python2.2' on your system at the
same time. Usually, there is also a 'python' executable which points to one
of these versions.

But here is the catch -- not on all systems does 'python' point to the
latest version! For example, on my Debian system, 'python' points to
'python1.5'. I know RedHat systems suffer (or suffered?) from the same
problem.

This means that if your program 'myprogram.py' uses any newish features, and
you say
	python myprogram.py
you will get annoying, and at first incomprehensible, errors. So on my
system I should say
	python2.2 myprogram.py

Not a major issue, but you have to be aware of it.

If you don't want any of this hassle, just use SuSE. It's the most
userfriendly distro I've seen so far. And it only contains the latest
Python version.

YDD