OT: Re: [Tutor] Linux versions

Todd Stephens tbstep@tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jul 2 06:57:03 2003

On Wednesday 02 July 2003 12:47 am, /dev/rob0 wrote:

> I use Slackware exclusively, both in server deployments and for my own
> workstation. I would recommend it to anyone who is seeking an in-depth
> understanding of GNU/Linux, but since you say you're not an OS techie,
> it may not be for you. Slackware is built by and for hard-core geeks
> (and professional sysadmins).

I know that is the general perception, but I would have to disagree.  I have
tried Mandrake, SuSE, Red Hat and Slackware (in that order).  I found
Slackware to be the most user-friendly of all of them.  Oh, I used FreeBSD in
between RH and Slack and I still use it from time to time.  I put FBSD up
there with Slack in terms of ease of use as well.  Though, I suppose SuSE and
company are easier if you get a 100% clean install (which I have never had on
any distro) and you don't plan on doing any kind of customizing. So, maybe I
do agree just a bit.

--
Todd Stephens