[Tutor] Re: wxPython demo

Andrei project5@redrival.net
Fri Jul 4 18:03:01 2003

Shey Crompton wrote:
> Hi all,
> Apologies if this is the wrong mailing list.

There is a wxPython mailing list (link on the wxpython site).

> I have installed everything off the wxPython.org site, but when I choose
> 'run the wxPython demo' from the start menu, I get a flash up on the screed,
> which disappears quickly, and then nothing.

Open a console (Start -> Run -> "cmd" or "command", I'm not sure which
one you get with win2k) and go to "<Python
directory>\Lib\site-packages\wxPython\demo" (use "cd <directory>" to
switch directories in dos mode). When you're there, type "python
demo.py". You'll get a traceback in the console. Copy it to clipboard
and ask for help using that traceback.

Btw, this traceback appears now when you start the demo, but only very,
very briefly as the console is automatically shut down if you use the
Start menu shortcut for the demo.

> Does anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong, and how to run the demo?
> I'm on win2k pro, and downloaded the wxPython for python 2.2, which I have
> installed.

My guess would be a mismatch between your Python version and the
wxPython version, as I've never had any problems with the demo. But the
traceback should give more info.

> Also, is there an editor that is tailored to wxPython (I don't know if one
> came with it)?

PyCrust is a shell written in wxPython and included in the distro, but I
don't think you need a special editor for wxPython. Perhaps you're
looking for an IDE like Boa Constructor or wxGlade (both are open
source). There's also wxDesigner, but that one's not free. I use wxGlade
to generate GUI code and subclass that to add functionality, working in
the Scite editor.

Andrei

=====
Mail address in header catches spam. Real contact info (decode with rot13):
cebwrpg5@bcrenznvy.pbz. Fcnz-serr! Cyrnfr qb abg hfr va choyvp cbfgf. V
ernq gur yvfg, fb gurer'f ab arrq gb PP.