[Tutor] software quest

Magnus Lyckå magnus@thinkware.se
Tue Jul 8 05:15:47 2003

At 20:00 2003-07-07 -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
>The ftplib module is VERY easy to use.

Do you think so? I always felt it was more complicated than
it had to be, and that the docs have too few examples.

In my opinion, it's more written from the perspective of
implementing RFC 959 http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc959.html
in a logical way than to make it easy for normal FTP users
to upload and download files in a simple way from a script.

Typical FTP users don't know things know of things like
RETR and NLST. On the other hand, I guess a lot of current
FTP users only know how to use a GUI FTP client, so making
an API that is more like the traditional FTP client, and
let you do things like 'get', 'mget', 'put' and 'mput'
might not be intuitive for everybody either...

--
Magnus Lycka (It's really Lyckå), magnus@thinkware.se
Thinkware AB, Sweden, www.thinkware.se