[Tutor] Font sizes and DOS

Jeff Shannon jeff@ccvcorp.com
Tue Jul 8 14:43:02 2003

Decibels wrote:

>I have written a program in Linux, that my brother wants to play with. He
>only has MS Windows though. It works fine in Windows, the problem is
>'font sizes' .   Stupid Dos window changes size when you change font
>sizing and doesn't allow you to just do one or the other.
>The program is just python with command line input right now, not using
>gui or Tk,...
>
>Is there any way in python to decrease the font sizes or will Dos just
>display in the fonts it choses and take no regard to font sizes in the program
>even if it is possible?

DOS has no concept of fonts or font sizes.  A DOS window will always be
80 characters across and 24 lines tall.  (Actually, it *is* possible to
coerce DOS into using up to 132 characters across and up to 50 lines
vertically, by deliberately mismatching certain video mode settings, but
this is *not* a standard thing, nor would I recommend it.  If you need
more than the standard text mode, you're almost certainly better writing
a GUI...)

So there really isn't a practical way of doing what you want -- DOS just
isn't built that way.  Depending on *why* you want that, though (i.e.,
what you want to accomplish with a different font size), there may be
some fairly simple way to work around the limitations...

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International