[Tutor] oo programming

Gregor Lingl glingl@aon.at
Wed Jul 9 14:21:02 2003

Andrea Valle schrieb:

>Hi to all,
>I've started object oriented programming with Python after two years of
>"functional" use...
>I'm having a lot of fun, but, being a self-taught, I don't know exactly how
>to organize the software architecture: what is best to do, what is worst,
>etc.

Hello Andrea!

I think it's impossible to give an exact or even useful answer if your
question is thus general and inexact.
Nevertheless some pointers: Yesterday  Chris Kassopulo posted this:

http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/zelle/PythonCS1_Draft.pdf

It has a strong emphasis on objects and also contains
a chapter on object oriented design. If you have really
just begun to do objects, this might be clearifying to
you.

You also can get a file graphics.py from zelle's homepage,
which contains clear examples of oo-progamming. (He uses
this as a basis for his course).

Studying this you can certainly learn much.

If you are interested in the OO-details of Python as a
language, you might consult Alex Martellis Python in a
Nutshell, which leaves nothing open and even discusses
such advanced but relevant topics like the differences
between classic and new-style classes, relevant since
Python 2.2 (?). (IMHO this is an indispensable book
for every Python programmer, anyway).

(Perhaps one should only use new-style classes form now on?)

Best wishes,
Gregor