[Tutor] Finding out if we can use a graphical environment or not

Lance E Sloan lsloan@umich.edu
Thu Jul 17 11:23:06 2003

--On Wednesday, July 16, 2003 12:18 -0300 Jorge Godoy
<godoy@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
>> Will you ever run your programs on a Microsoft platform with DOS
>> prompt but no GUI available? What would that be? A toaster?
>
> Actually, I dunno. Probably not.

Toasters wouldn't run DOS anyway.  Maybe Java, though.  ;)

Seriously, though, the non-GUI version of the program could be run from
DOS, though unlikely, or from a UNIX or Linux shell.  So I think this is a
good question.

However, I think the suggestions others have made for running the program
under different names ("proggy" and "Xproggy") make a lot of sense.  It's
possible that I'll run your program from an xterm window and although my
"DISPLAY" environment variable is set and I do have X running, maybe I
don't want to run the GUI version.

--
Lance E Sloan
U-M WATS: Web Applications, Technologies, and Solutions