[Tutor] OT: Admin suggestion: Add reply address to mailer

Jeff Shannon jeff@ccvcorp.com
Thu Jul 17 13:05:02 2003

Kirk Bailey wrote:

> This is not the first time I have onsidered such issues. It would be
> good if you could click one button to reply to the sender, and another
> to reply to the list. Alas, clicking REPLY ALL sends back to BOTH on
> netscape. Not sure  how it works in the world of microsoft, as I
> believe it is a moral weakness to support evil institutions, but my
> impression is this is normal behavior in most email clients. Can
> anyone figure out a way to get tricky with headers to force one or the
> other, but not BOTH?

Yes, 'reply all' sends back to both parties, with pretty much any
mailer.  (That's why it's 'reply ALL'.)  It is, however, fairly simple
to delete undesired addresses from the email before it's sent --
especially since you're trimming the quoted email body anyhow.  (You
*are* trimming the email to only the most relevant quoted sections,
right??)  Deleting unwanted addresses is a *lot* easier than adding
additional addresses.  And it's rarely a problem for the email to go to
an extra (private) address, anyhow.

I certainly wouldn't mind if standard mailers grew a third 'reply to
list' option, but given that the standard options are only 'reply to
sender' and 'reply to all', I'm perfectly happy with manually trimming
the reply list.  This seems like much less of a problem than the
weirdnesses that would likely be caused by getting "tricky with headers"
-- as the link I posted mentions, header munging often leads to
unpredictable results, and the less it's done the better.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International