[Tutor] Best approach to sort data based on several criteria

Jorge Godoy godoy@metalab.unc.edu
Mon Jul 21 10:46:02 2003

Hi.

I have a huge amount of data that's stored in a file where each record
is in a line made of 22 columns, and each column is separated from the
other by a ';'.

I need to show this data (some columns each time) sorted out
accordingly to some columns (e.g. columns zero, one, five and six,
each on a different view and in one of these views, I need to sort
based on multiple keys).

What's the best way to handle this situation?

I thought about splitting these columns and sorting them, but maybe
there's a more efficient way...

Not to mention that some columns are strings and other are dates or
numbers.

TIA,
--
Godoy.     <godoy@metalab.unc.edu>