[Tutor] Get me out of the blue (help urgently needed!)

Gregor Lingl glingl@aon.at
Tue Jul 22 02:41:01 2003

Danny Yoo schrieb:

>On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Gregor Lingl wrote:
>

>>'c:\\epacris\\tinyfugue\\home'
>>

>Hi Gregor,
>

>Ok, let's just double check something... Ok, the guilty code is probably
>in 'ntpath.py'.  Let's take a look.
>
>###
>def expanduser(path):
>    """Expand ~ and ~user constructs.
>
>    If user or $HOME is unknown, do nothing."""
>###
>

>Hmmm.  Not only does it look at HOME, but Python will try to go for
>HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH too!  Wow, that's thorough.  *grin*
>

>Gregor, can you drop down to the DOS prompt and try:
>
>    echo $HOME
>    echo $HOMEPATH
>    echo $HOMEDRIVE

I tried this yesterday, and indeed at the DOS prompt HOME had the
value "C:\epacris....", although it didn't show up as an environment
variable
in 'system' of the control panel any more.

I was not able to delete it, so I created a new (dummy - hmm?) directory
I:\home and

set HOME = I:\home

This now showed up in control panel's system. When I tried to delete it
there, it's old value was surprisingly and silently restored.

I can live with my new  HOME, and even if this in my view at first was
a "work-around", the new IDLE immediately used it to store it's .idlerc
directory and there it's recent file list.

So it turned out not only to be a workaround, but also useful.

Nevertheless I feel a bit uneasy, as this old HOME "C:\epacris\..." is
apparently
stored somewhere in the system, and I can't find out where nor why it is
restored automatically when I delete the HOME environment variable.

>and tell us what you get?  I do get the feeling that there's some
>lingering environmental variables in your NT installation that's doing
>funny things.

So you see, that your feelings meet exactly what's going on!

>Let's double check to see if those variables are
>initialized.
>

>>Or is it time to make a change, just relax, take it easy ...
>>

>Take it easy.  *grin*  Don't worry, we'll get to the bottom of this.

Hmmm..., I'm not sure if we'll really get to the VERY bottom of this

Many thanks for your quick response (indeed I feel better now)

Gregor