[Tutor] Help with a tutorial

Michael Janssen Janssen@rz.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu Jul 24 07:51:01 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Danny Yoo wrote:

> Hmmm..., now that I look at it, the question itself is weird!  And I'm
> having difficulty parsing it in English... *grin*

> Here's the question Josh poses:

> """
> Rewrite the high_low.py program from section 5.2 to use the last two
> digits of time at that moment to be the 'random' number.
> """

> I think there's a phrasing mistake here --- the question is probably meant
> to be a two-parter:

> """
> Rewrite the high_low.py program from section 5.2:
>
>     1.  To use the last two digits of time at that moment.
>
>     2.  To be the 'random' number.
> """
>
> Can anyone confirm that this is what Josh meant?  If so, we need to send
> this correction to him so that he can fix his tutorial.

I don't understand your rephrasing either ;-) You can't rewrite
high_low.py "to be the 'random' number" because high_low.py is not
intended to provide such a number (but to use one). Also, the current
section "Using Modules" has no need of a random number, so why rewrite
high_low.py to "be" one?

My guess is:

"""Rewrite the high_low.py program from section 5.2 to use the last two
digits of time() [he has imported time.time into global namespace] as a
'random' number."""

"at that moment" is not important to mention, cause this is what
time.time() does. "use something as something" seems to be clearer to
me than "use something to be something".

Michael