[Tutor] Password Program

R. Alan Monroe R. Alan Monroe" <amonroe@columbus.rr.com
Thu Jul 24 18:20:02 2003

> I was wondering if it was possible to have a program in Python ask someone for
> a user name/password and then encrypt the password, save it to the harddrive,
> and later, when asked, decrypt the password and tell u what the un/pw is.

I had never looked into this until recently, and I felt really stupid
for it not having occurred to me. Most sytems enrypt the password in a
way to where you purposely CAN'T decrypt it. Later, when the user logs
in, they encrypt whatever the user typed for the password, and compare
that to the stored encrypted password.

I don't know if there's anything in the stock library that will do
reversible encryption. Anyone know?

Alan