[Tutor] Help with Python on Red Hat 8

Todd Stephens tbstep@tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jul 26 17:34:01 2003

On Saturday 26 July 2003 05:23 pm, Paul Hickey wrote:

> Hi , I've been using Python on windows for a short time.
> I Just loaded RH8 on to a laptop and went to use Python, its not listed
> anywhere in the GUI, I found it by opening the Terminal. In terminal I
> typed Python, and now Python is running.
> However its at the >>>_ prompt, so my question is how do I open a file to
> write a program, and save it as I did in Windows. Its a newbie question for
> sure! But I do want to get back to my tutorial's and would prefer to stay
> on RH, rather than  using another box with windows. Thanks for your time.
> Paul.

That is your interactive prompt.  If you want to write an actual program
you'll need to just code it in a text editor and save it with a .py extension
(not really necessary, but helps you in keeping track of what kind of file it
is).  When you want to run it, type 'python <filename>.py' at your command
prompt.

You can use the interactive prompt to run some tutorials, but not to write any
lengthy program and save it.

--
Todd Stephens