[Tutor] RE: james2dope's little prgm for holiday calendar

RASTM2@aol.com RASTM2@aol.com
Wed Jul 30 08:51:02 2003

In a message dated 7/29/03 9:19:34 PM Central Daylight Time
james2dope@python.org writes:

> I am attempting to write a little program that will
>  tell you on which day a certain holiday will fall. In
>  whatever year you want. I am a beginner and was
>  wondering how I should tackle this project, or is
>  someone could point my in the right direction? Thanks
>  for any help

Hi, james2dope

If I were planning such a project I would go to http://rudy.ca/doomsday.html
for
help and inspiratioin and links to other such the same.
It's called the Doomsday Algorithm, and it was originally created by
Dr. John Conway, a very interesting mathemetician.
Dr. Conway devised a way to determine what day of the week any date in history
would fall on so that you could do the calculation in your head.
I think that if you can do that calculation in your head, you won't have too
much
trouble converting it to Python.
You will have to pay particular attention to Easter Sunday thou, as this date
is very rarely the same on any two consecutive years.
Also, a search for "Doomsday Algorithm", "calendars, Python" and combinations
of
such on google will prob'ly yield many free sources of completed scripts and
info to
get you going.

Ray St. Marie
Rastm2@aol.com