[Tutor] Paranoid Question

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry@comcast.net
Wed Jul 30 15:48:02 2003

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 22:11, Norvell Spearman wrote:

> So as long as I run idle from /home/norvell/python/bin/idle---and as
> long as I keep the #! line consistent with the prefix in any
> scripts---there should be no conflicts with the old version, right?

indeed, you are safe.  Via Debian's package system I currently have ALL of the
2.x series and 1.52 installed.  I can invoke any of them as pythonX.Y.
/usr/bin/python is a symlink to the newest version.  Each one was compiled
with the version number in the destination path so there are no conflicts.
Keep that in mind for your next install, you may want ~/norvell/python2.4.