[Tutor] OHMYGOD...

Kirk Bailey idiot1@netzero.net
Thu Jul 31 20:10:02 2003

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 July 2003 19:09, Todd Stephens wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday 29 July 2003 08:31 pm, Kirk Bailey wrote:
>>
>>>3 weeks of my life down the John L Crapper just that easy. Wonderful and
>>>powerful is FreeBsD.
>>
>>Wonderful and powerful is root in FreeBSD.
>>

> thanks, I forgot that as my last item:
>
> *) everytime you login as root, ask yourself if you could accomplish the task
> as a simple user with tools like su and sudo.  Root is a loaded gun waiting
> to misfire.

Even then, the real problem came due to me issuing a powerful and
dangerous command while laboring under a misunderstanding- where I was,
to be precise.

Now, I could have kept this secret, or blaimed it on a HDD failure and
(blablabla, excuss follow...), but I thought, as this IS the tutor list,
that it would be an EXCELLENT bad example of how easy it is to make a
simple mistake and really SCREW THE POOCH. I hope a LOT of beople learn
from my excellent bad example.

And as the server holds several domains, anything really important will
soon be  backed up on another server on the LAN on a nightly backup, as
soon as I can hoodwink////////persuade the host into updating the backup
script from monthly/weekly to monthly/daily. (systemwide/website).

end

Cheers!
         Kirk D Bailey

  +                              think                                +
   http://www.howlermonkey.net  +-----+        http://www.tinylist.org
   http://www.listville.net     | BOX |  http://www.sacredelectron.org
   Thou art free"-ERIS          +-----+     'Got a light?'-Promethieus
  +                              think                                +

Fnord.