[Tutor] what is the difference between a scripting and object oriented programming language?

Nick Jensen njensen@utahfirst.com
Mon Jun 2 17:44:02 2003

I dabbled in Java just a little bit so I have an idea of what object =
oriented programming is although I'm not good at it. I know that python =
is a scripting language, but I'm not sure what that means exactly as =
opposed to OOP.=20

What is the definition of a scripting language?

Does it relate to scripts at all like those that you'd run on a server =
for instance to automate certain tasks? I'm actually a network admin and =
use scripts sometimes, but was curious how that ties in with python.

Also, what are the benefits and drawbacks to a scripting language as =
opposed to OOP languages?

Or are the two not really different at all?

Thanks!

-Nick