[Tutor] where to put configuration files

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry@attbi.com
Mon Jun 9 20:18:06 2003

On Monday 09 June 2003 09:15, Kirk Bailey wrote:
> > since you referred to /etc I assumed (yes I know ...) you were only
> > referring to a Unix like operating system.
>
> Yep. I am waiting to hear that Linux is as dependable and secure as my
> trusted FreeBSD, but WITHER is VASTLY preferable to the enslavement goods
> of the dread lord of Redmond...

oh please, let's all leave the OS bashing at the door. (-:

> > If you truly want to be portable here we go .....
>
> ohboyohboyohboy...
>
> > a) easy case, store all of the program in one base dir as suggested.
> > Expected behavior on Windows and I believe OS X.
>
> okfine. UM, we put the list's files in with the scripts?!?

generally in a subdir, but yeah.

> > Therefore as Kirk mentions the best situation is to have the location of
> > th config defined as a variable and allow the installation procedure to
> > indicate where the config ends up.
>
> Ah, BUT:
> how does it find it?
> To find it, one must tell it where it is.
> To do this with a config file is a bootstrap problem.
> To do this by hacking the script is a complexity issue for less than
> totally savvy installers.
>
> To do this  by asuming it is RIGHT HERE WITH ME is a solution that is
> simple, reliable, and offers no additional burden to the novice.
>
> It's just politically incorrect.

Look at just about any piece of open source software.  They ship with a
program called 'configure'.  You pass it all of this information or it uses
defaults.  Been the way Unix people have solved this problem for at least the
last 10 years.

It can be done simply.